Sunday, November 2, 2008

Full-sized Candy Bar Neighborhood

The Haul: Darn right. Out of the 30 or so houses we visited, about 10 gave full-sized candy bars. I always thought rich families gave less (e.g. their frugality is what made them rich in the first place). Not so in our neighborhood. Costco must have had some killer deals on boxes of full-sized bars.
The Conditions: Halloween night was ideal in every way. 60 degrees, clear, kids racing too and fro, great decorations, parents not hovering too close. It was like Mayberry. A good time was had by all.

The Costumes: Aja and Anna spent the entire year deciding what to dress up as. Every two weeks they'd change their minds. Throughout the year they had some pretty cool ideas (cob or corn, a shoe, hunk of cheese). Yet, when forced to choose the real thing, they chose they safe classics of Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. Naturally, I was disappointed I was hoping for something a bit more edgy. That said, Carmen sewed the costumes and they turned out great.

I was "Al" the gas pumper. It was easy and authentic. People couldn't figure out if it was a costume, or if I'd just got off work. At the church party on Tuesday Carmen & I went as Joseph & Emma. I'll post some shots of the pioneer couple when I get them.



















The Fairy:
Rather than let the girls chow down on their candy as they please, the Halloween Fairy visits our house on 11/1. Aside from a couple pieces, the candy is traded for a gift. This year it was My Little Ponies. The girls have been running around singing "Pony, pony, pony, pony" to a tune they made up themselves. They are psyched.

In case you're wondering, the fairy is a Socialist (Gobama!) who redistributes the candy for the common good of the Jensen's...in our 72 hour emergency kits, M&Ms and chocolate get saved for cookie ingredients, some in my work bag, and some gets trashed.

6 comments:

4lakedames said...

Glad to hear the fairy made it to your house! We have the "candyman" in these parts. From C. and the Chocolate factory? Know him? He needs candy for his store, ya know? Atticus got an Indiana Jones Mr. potato head and Cozy got a doctor kit to give end-less pain to her dolls. ALL the goodies went to support the nurses in need of extra holiday lbs.

Greg Christensen said...

The Halloween Fairy is an interesting concept. At our family we have the Sugar Rush Fairy and the Glutton Gnome. They travel in pairs like St. Nicolaus and Black Peter.

Sarah Carlston said...

Maybe we should get the fairy to come to our house. We just have mean dad throw away all that junk after bedtime on Halloween!

You can only eat so much partially hydrogenated oil ;)

Karen said...

Loving the costumes! Jer did you wear your's to work? I like how the candy is very organized in the pictures. It's a good idea to help keep an eye on your inventory.

Alex and Heather said...

Just tell the Candy Fairy to send those full size candy bars up our way. I'm sure we can figure out what to do with them.

Alison said...

CUTE girls! Love the costumes Carmen whipped up. I like the Fairy idea too. That might even work for me (who eats most of their candy anyway).
So great to see how you guys are doing! I really enjoy reading up. =)