Sunday, July 27, 2008

Backpacking Date with Carmen

Carmen and I just returned from the best overnight date. We went backpacking in North Cascades National Park. We camped at the Sahale Glacier Camp--it's the highest camp spot in the park at 7,600 ft. I think it's one of the best camping spots in the world!

The hike is 5.7 miles and about 3,800 vertical feet up. It was absolutely gorgeous--the views, the wildlife (marmots, mountain goats, ptarmigans) the wildflowers (we counted over 51 different varieties!).

It was also great to be alone with Carmen for 36 straight hours. We had a nice time catching up, planning, talking about our girls & laughing about memories from the past. I've been on this hike a few times in the past without Carmen. It was especially nice to have her with me this time--so she could experience what I've been raving about. She really loved it and did a great job. It reminded us of our summer in Ecuador & Peru 7 years ago.

The South View from Camp

East View from Camp--The North Cascades

North View from Camp - Mt Sahale & the glacier

6 comments:

the medeiros family said...

Ok...that is just too cool. I love that just the two of you went camping. I can't think of a better way to spend quality time with your spouse. Funny how life gets in the way and we really have to make an effort to reconnect. Looks beautiful btw!

jjjensenfamily said...

Wow! I'm glad you were able to leave the girls and do that. Did you eat mashed potatoes and hot dogs? Maybe someday Jon can convince me to go on a hike like that.

Greg Christensen said...

Gorgeous shots, Jer. Thanks for posting.

keith said...

Jeremy Karl - You've become a real renaissance man - well done. I was surprised not to have seen Spyrogyra among your favorite music though. Don't forget where you came from, my man.

Alex and Heather said...

Beautiful! We're you cold, though? Like I told you earlier, I think you guys rock! That's so inspiring to see you go backpacking by yourselves, even after possible. Thanks for planting the seed; now we just gotta get Alex's desire there! Love it!

Karen said...

That looks absolutely amazing. Something Brad and I would love to try!