Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" as a parenting tool

Why are my kids so wild? Why do other kids their age seem so well behaved? December, excess sugar, no naps, and the craziness of the Christmas season had turned Aja & Anna into demons...then I discovered the manipulative lyrics of...

"You better watch out,
you better not cry,
you better not pout,
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is coming to town.
He's makin' a list,
He's checkin' it twice,
Gonna find out who's naughts and who's nice,
Santa Claus is coming to town.
He see's you when you're sleeping,
He knows when you're awake,
He know if you've been bad or good,
So be good for goodness sake."

I want to publicly thank the stressed out parent who penned these lyrics. They have been a godsend this last week. What parenting trickery can I rely on when January rolls around?


(thanks to our friend Matt Molen for the great photo)

3 comments:

Matt said...

Alisha & I were just talking about this yesterday - that we haven't been manipulating the "Santa is watching you" concept enough this year.

I hereby resolve to repeat this phrase 30 times per day until Dec. 25!

Karen said...

That's a great pic of the girls. We can't wait to see you all! So what am I going to use to be able to bribe the girls since Christmas will be over?

Alex and Heather said...

Ever since I read this I've been singing it...for some reason my girls don't quite get it, yet...I'll keep it in my archives for next year.