Monday, January 28, 2008

Farewell to a Prophet

I love this man. I was privileged to meet with him while on a mission in Scotland. He gave us the advice his father had given him while he was a missionary in the UK back in the 1930s..."Forget yourself and go to work." I have been inspired by that quote many times throughout my life when I have felt like not giving my best effort.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from May 2005 of his that illustrates his self deprecating humor. When this talk comes on my iPod it always makes me laugh...

"I am now in my 95th year. I never dreamed that I would live this long. My life reminds me of a sign that hung by a rusty staple to a run-down barbed-wire fence in Texas. It read:

Burned out by drought,
Drowned out by flud waters,
Et out by jackrabbits,
Sold out by sheriff,
Still here!"

It's easy to say I'm a better person today because of the attitude, actions & inspiring counsel of Gordon B. Hinckley. Praise to this man.

No comments: