Friday, February 1, 2008

Trees of Life

Carmen and I really like the tree of life motif. Art Nouveau is a style that just looks cool. It combines natural elements with simple, stylized designs. For me it started in Scotland with Charles Renee MacKintosh and then it continued in Chicago with Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright.

Yeah, I recognized that there was a religious significance too, but I didn't really get it. I still just really liked the way art nouveau looked. Last week in church we discussed the Book of Mormon's 1Nephi 8. We talked about how the tree represents Jesus Christ.

Sure, trees in artwork represent other things too. Yet, I liked the symbolism as it relates to the Savior. Fall, Winter & Spring represent the death and resurrection. The fruit of the tree represents all of Christ's best gifts. Etc, etc.

Now I'm reminded of Christ when I look some of my favorite artwork. Here's some that we have hung on our walls.

(Top- a cotton tapestry inspired by Gustav Klimt; Bottom Left - The Tree of Life woodcut...created by and on loan from my sister Jenny Mohanty; Bottom Right - Center of tree abstract by Jenny Mohanty...the trees out the window predate the house.)

6 comments:

Karen said...

I love the cotton one and the trees outside your window!!

the medeiros family said...

What gorgeous artwork. We just studied this in Sunday School and read it as a family...I agree, it is such an amazing vision. Love that you have the trees throughout your home.

Circe said...

Jer,
I found your blog through Ryan and Jennie Dopp then to Nate and Amy's blog. I love your blog and your house looks amazing. Circe just recently got into this whole blogging thing. I think it is a great way to keep up with family and friends. Send me some music recommendations if you get a chance. Check out our blog at www.partyofseven.blogspot.com
Scott Dopp

Circe said...

Hey Jensens! I love the trees...both inside and out. Thanks for the comment, and the honor of putting a link to us on your blog. :) It's great to reconnect, like you said. That's what I love about Davis Darts. 18 years can go by, and we still have that 1989 connection! Great to hear from you!

Alex and Heather said...

Love it! It was pretty cool to be in that Sunday School lesson to get the wheels rolling about this symbolism.

Leah Hansen said...

I just thought you should know that the art nouveau style is my favorite. I did a report of Victor Horta last year. I am a big fan of the Whip Lash curve. I also would love to go to chicago and check out the killer architecture. I am glad that you guys are so cool and Know about this kind of stuff.