Saturday, April 19, 2008

Cleo Ann Hears a Who!

My mom, Ann, and my sister Heidi are in town this week. It's really great to have them here. They are loving Aja, Anna & Liv. Since we only see our family from Utah once or twice a year, it's so cool to see the kids interact with their Grandma and Aunt. This picture was taken at the Olympic Sculpture Park in Seattle.

Cleo Ann Glauser Jensen is 71. She was the original health nut. She was one of the first to adopt the "jogging" craze back in the mid-1970's. When I was a kid, she regularly forced me to eat yucky health foods (natural, organic foods have become much more palatable over the past 30 years).

When I had to take the treat bucket to my 1st grade class--Ann filled it with whole-wheat-raisin-filled cookies. She fulfilled my special birthday party request for pizza with whole wheat pizza. Needless to say, my friends mocked me. I survived and I'm a better person for it. In fact, I have become a disciple of Ann's healthy eating and healthy attitudes.

I have also benefited from Ann's unwavering faith in Jesus Christ. Over the years, I have seen her address life's problems with optimism, humility, faith, and action. She has a sure knowledge that life has a good purpose. Thank you mom for all you've done for me.

4 comments:

Alex and Heather said...

What a nice tribute to your madrecita! I love that she is just such a Glauser. From the looks to the health nut stuff. Those genes are strong!

the medeiros family said...

Ahh I love your mom! How fun to have her visiting!

Unknown said...

Ann Jensen is one of my favorite people! My first memory of her has her using an inflatable globe to teach English to a Japanese student who was staying at the Jensen home. Seeing her picture on your blog brings many happy feelings. ...why aren't more people voting for the scarcity of smurfs?

Circe said...

Amen to the healthy lifestyle. Aren't we all glad now that our moms did the whole wheat/no sugar thing? My kids think it's normal...almost. Golda complained that all the other kids at school have chips and cookies in their lunch and she gets "probiotic yogurt." I just smiled, remembering the dusty-dry sandwiches of my youth.